Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Jackolyn

Lairian
Hello there!

This is going to be a LONG story, but alas, it still doesn't have a conclusion. I hope that this might help someone else out there, or if anyone has experienced something similar, please let me know.
**I will be sure to keep this updated as new information arrives.**

----

I picked up my little girl, Aurora, at 13 weeks of age from our breeder on the 7th of August - the most exciting day of my life! I had been warned beforehand that she had constipation issues, and was on a Laxative treatment of Restoralax - 1 TSP a day, 5ml in the morning, and 5ml at night. She was also on wet food with added water mixed in to help her along as well. She was eating a full can of Friskies Pate' a day, the food that the breeder was giving her . Half a can in the morning, and half at night.
A final check-up paper and this information was all of the medical history I was given upon pick-up.
She was pooping perfectly fine with the breeder, and was pooping perfectly fine with us, and the treatment seemed to be working well with her - no issues at for the first couple of days, just a happy, healthy, curious little girl! Our little snuggle bug!

Then 3 days later on the 10th, I noticed that she hadn't pooped at all throughout the day. I had been closely monitoring her the entire time (to the point of being the ultimate helicopter mom) to keep track of her movements, but when nothing had happened by 6pm, I became nervous and called the vet. They told me to give her a bit more laxative and wait it out - and sure enough, she had diarrhea everywhere, but she pooped! Hooray!
Cut to the next 7 days of me trying to find a happy medium of Laxative mixture (I had settled on 1/4 TSP) and food/water ratio. I was chasing her around the entire week, wiping her but and cleaning up poop drips everywhere around the house - she would leak poop all day and then at the end of the day she would let loose and it would all come out at once. Also worth noting that she began to scoot her butt across the floor after every attempt which - with diarrhea days, was NOT fun.

Friday the 17th I took her into the vet. I hadn't been able to find a happy medium that didn't result in either constipation all day, diarrhea all day - or one extreme to the other within the same day, so I took her in and they gave her some new food to try along with her routine vaccinations. Royal Canine Gastrointestinal - a bag of dry, and a few cans. Was told to feed her 1/2 can of wet, and 1/4 cup of dry a day, so I did that.
Still had diarrhea issues that night, but she had just been put on new food so I wasn't expecting an immediate difference.

The next day on Saturday the 18th, she was constipated all day, but no signs of runny diarrhea or drips to clean up, so I was thankful for that. Later that evening she had a MASSIVE bowel movement. It was basically all of the food from the day coming out at once, but for her, the poop looked super healthy. A bit soft, but it held it's shape, colour looked great, and I was so relieved - the food seemed to be working!

Sunday the 19th comes around and I'm hoping that the new food is working its magic - I'm hoping for 1-2 bowel movements that looked as good as the night before/if not better. She's drinking well, eating well...and then nothing. Nothing all day...and that turned into nothing all night.
She made several attempts in her litter box, but nothing at all was coming out - not a drop or smear. She was still scooting on the ground after her attempts, and began to vocalize very loudly. I can tell she's in pain whenever she tried.

Monday the 20th rolls around and I call the vet first thing in the morning. They ask me to bring her in and inquire about her vaccination/deworming history. I don't have any papers on hand, just the word of the breeder that she was vaccinated and dewormed, but no paper proof outside of her telling me what it was via text.
They asked to keep her all day and monitor her, so once I got home I called the veterinary clinic that the breeder had been taking her to and had them fax her history over.
When I get a call back later that day to pick her up, her file is now filled with papers of medical history.
I am told that her history is very checkered with apparently, a LOT of intestinal issues that I was NOT made aware of by the breeder. (And the final check-up paper makes no mention of ANY of this).
The only thing I knew of when I got her was her constipation issues, and the only medical treatment I was ever aware that she had was the Laxative I had been giving her.
I should remind you all that she is only 15 weeks old at this point.

According to my vet during this visit, she had indeed been dewormed and vaccinated (thank god), but she had also received multiple enemas starting at 6 weeks of age, including one done at home by the breeder (!!) and was apparently on other medication for her digestion issues at the time - which is now the major cause for concern.

They gave me 4 doses of 0.05MLS of Gabapentin to help manage the pain with her attempts, and 5 doses of a broad spectrum dewormer, Panacur, to administer once a day over the next 5 days.
They also told me to only administer her laxative by 1/8TSP split into 4 doses every 12 hours to try and ween her off since 1/4 - 1/2TSP is what they give to adult cats. (She had been on 2TSP a few weeks before I picked her up, and 1TSP when I had her!!)

That night was absolutely horrendous. I gave her 2 doses of Gabapentin over the evening to manage her pain, and between 12:00am and 12:45am she was constantly attempting to pass. She hadn't pooped since Saturday evening, and it was all still backed up in her but nothing but little bits of wet, yogurt like consistency poop was passing, and it was very minimal (but enough to make a mess all over our carpet whenever she scooted).
She also threw up her food from the day, just adding more problems to the equation.

First thing on Tuesday the 21st, I call the vet and they give me the option to take her in for an enema to clear everything out and "reset her intestines". I take her in, wait all day, and pick her up. She is noticeably skinnier, her bloated belly now gone, but she is all cleared out and reset.
What I'm told, is that it's not constipation that's the issue - there's no hard poop in her that's blocking anything - her poop is all soft.
The issue - from what they can feel, is that it's not at the end of her intestines, or a buildup of food, but rather her intestines are all irritated/inflamed and that is causing her the pain - which is then causing her to back herself up since she can't pass anything because of it.
I'm told that for now, patience is key and to finish her Deworming medication and to see if managing her pain helps any.

Cut to today - Wednesday the 22d, and she hasn't pooped since her enema at the vet yesterday.
I am keeping close notes on her, marking the times when I am feeding her, giving her medecine/laxative/pain killers, and noting the times that she attempts and what happens - if anything.
She has had 2 doses of her Deworming medication so far, but we have used up all of her pain medication for now, so I'm hoping that they give me more since - it doesn't stop her from vocalizing during her attempts, but it does help her a bit.
She is eating 4 times a day - she eats well, is drinking water, and there are no issues peeing whatsoever.
She makes multiple, very loud attempts during the day to try and pass, but nothing has come out, not even a wet bum afterwards, and her scooting is dry.
Her weight gain has also been put to a halt since the day I picked her up, with no increase over the past few weeks - despite her eating well this entire time (and the worry that she will actually lose weight looming over her.)

This is a very long story so far just to say that...we're having some serious issues with our little girl right now.
The breeder is telling me that she has no idea why any of this is happening, and that "she was fine when she was with me", but she's dancing around my questions of why I wasn't given any knowledge or paperwork of her previous medical history.

Aurora is my first kitten, and despite over 7 months of research on everything I could possibly think of before I got her, I am absolutely at a loss for what to do.
I was prepared to deal with constipation when that's all I thought it was - and if it was that simple, her new food would have been the solution.
I am hoping that my breeder is being honest with me, and that - at the time when her issues began to arise at 6 weeks of age - the vets truly DID believe that it was just a simple constipation issue and aggressively treated it to clear her out. I am hoping that my breeder didn't sell her to me with the knowledge of a more serious issue at hand and didn't tell me anything about it...which is, unfortunately, what I'm being lead to believe by all of the evidence that has come up.

My vets are telling me that, because of these aggressive treatments that she was given so early on, this could be the cause of whatever she is going through right now, and whatever it is - a normal digestive system for Aurora is something that we're going to have to fight for until we figure out what the issue is.

I just wanted to share my story so far with you all in hopes that someone out there has gone through something similar, or has any advice to give.

She is the sweetest girl I have ever known, and even though I have only had her for a short amount of time, I love her more than anything, and it has been so difficult for me to watch her go through this and being unable to do anything to help her.

If you have read this far, thank you so much.

Aurora.jpg

I will be sure to keep you all updated as things develops further.

Yumi

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I'm so sorry to read all of this. :sorry: and that I cannot give any information/tips on this due being new into it myself.
But I'm sure more experienced owners might be able to think along.
Do know I'm sending a lot of positive and healing vibes your way and hopefully the vet (or with some help of the lair) it can figured out so she can get the necessary help/treatment/...
She looks like such a cutie pie on the picture!
Looking forward to an positive update! ((hug))

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Jackolyn , awhhhhh hugs to you and head smooches to sweet gorgeous Aurora

Did they do a poo sample check to rule out giardia or tritrichomonas ?

Many of us keep on hand a can of 100% pure pumpkin - no spices in it !
It is good for both types of poo issues
My boy likes it warmed a little
You can freeze it in a covered ice cube tray and take out as needed

I did want to share a food I feed with great results for poo issues / digestive issues
Nutrisource cat and kitten food - blue bag
Touted for results for digestive issues

Cat & Kitten Chicken Meal, Salmon & Liver Cat Food - NutriSource Pet Foods
I get it online at Hollywood feed or k9cusiine
perhaps a all to them to see if avail in Canada
My IBD kitty does great on the food after trying Fromm , Acana , wellness , etc
Went with grain inclusive Nutrisource and my crew does better on it than any grain free I tried feeding
Just wanted to share bcz I see how much you and your baby are going thru
And it worked incredible with my IBD kitty ( who I was not told ha dodge drive issues when I adopted her -
And the person me perked at vets office - hmm no wonder no ome adopted her from the office -
So we powered they and found a solution and all is well now )

All paws crossed for sweet Aurora - you got this
please pleas keep us updated

Many members have had great results feeding Raw
@Xandria , @Condo commando and severs, other members are great resources for Rae feeding for digestive health

There is also a product "better in thr raw " BiTR
That is easy to prepare

Better in the Raw for Cats

All paws crossed healing vibes sent

Last edited:

MollysMom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Read this:

My Cat Has Diarrhea - What Do I Do?

Go to the health food store, look for s. Boulardii. She needs to recolonize her guts with good healthy bacteria. Also get a prebiotic and probiotic. Is there a smaller chain/ more natural pet store near you? They should have them in stock. We use the one called Love Bugs. Feed her only wet food and cut out the dry. The lack of moisture is causing the constipation. It is late but PM me if you want more info. There is an amazing fb group of actual experts on this called Raw Feeding For IBD Cats.

Jackolyn

Lairian
@Jackolyn , awhhhhh hugs to you and head smooches to sweet gorgeous Aurora

Did they do a poo sample check to rule out giardia or tritrichomonas ?

Many of us keep on hand a can of 100% pure pumpkin - no spices in it !
It is good for both types of poo issues
My boy likes it warmed a little
You can freeze it in a covered ice cube tray and take out as needed

I did want to share a food I feed with great results for poo issues / digestive issues
Nutrisource cat and kitten food - blue bag
Touted for results for digestive issues

Cat & Kitten Chicken Meal, Salmon & Liver Cat Food - NutriSource Pet Foods
I get it online at Hollywood feed or k9cusiine
perhaps a all to them to see if avail in Canada
My IBD kitty does great on the food after trying Fromm , Acana , wellness , etc
Went with grain inclusive Nutrisource and my crew does better on it than any grain free I tried feeding
Just wanted to share bcz I see how much you and your baby are going thru
And it worked incredible with my IBD kitty ( who I was not told ha dodge drive issues when I adopted her -
And the person me perked at vets office - hmm no wonder no ome adopted her from the office -
So we powered they and found a solution and all is well now )

All paws crossed for sweet Aurora - you got this
please pleas keep us updated

Many members have had great results feeding Raw
@Xandria , @Condo commando and severs, other members are great resources for Rae feeding for digestive health

There is also a product "better in thr raw " BiTR
That is easy to prepare

Better in the Raw for Cats

All paws crossed healing vibes sent

Thank you so much for the positive vibes! They are certainly much appreciated.
Still no improvement tonight, but we did get more pain medication to give her twice a day for 10 days, so fingers crossed that she passes something tomorrow, or it's another emergency visit to the vet yet again.

They haven't looked in her poop for any parasites yet (that I'm aware of at least), but we do have her on an aggressive course of deworming/parasitic medication to rule out any of the microscopic pests from the equation. I had certainty thought it might have been giardia as well when she had diarrhea symptoms, but the complete blockage/unable to poop part is something else that the vets haven't been able to pin-point yet.
Our next step is to likely get an X-Ray or Contrast scan to see what the heck is going on internally that's preventing her from pushing out the poop. (Which is well formed from her new food, she just can't seem to get it out)

The food that she is on now is meant for sensitive digestion as well, and it seems to have done wonders for the consistency and formation of her bowel movements (when she has them, that is). We'll keep her on the current food for now until we know what it is, but I have certainly heard the wonders of pure pumpkin! And I have wanted to transition her to a Raw Food diet since day one, but these current issues have put that plan on pause for now until we know what the issue is. (And until I can find a way to get my hands on Raw Cat food/make it myself since where I live doesn't sell any raw cat food...)

Thank you so much for the support!

Jackolyn

Lairian
Read this:

My Cat Has Diarrhea - What Do I Do?

Go to the health food store, look for s. Boulardii. She needs to recolonize her guts with good healthy bacteria. Also get a prebiotic and probiotic. Is there a smaller chain/ more natural pet store near you? They should have them in stock. We use the one called Love Bugs. Feed her only wet food and cut out the dry. The lack of moisture is causing the constipation. It is late but PM me if you want more info. There is an amazing fb group of actual experts on this called Raw Feeding For IBD Cats.

Wonderful advice! I will for sure be keeping this in mind and mention it to my vet next time I talk to her! I have been keeping her on the wet food for the past few days for that exact moisture reason - but the issue isn't so much dry/hard poop, but rather the fact that something is preventing her from passing anything entirely.
As the vet had told me yesterday when she had her Enema - the poop that she had passed the catheter through was all soft and normal not constipated/hard at all -- which is frustrating, because her not being able to pass anything results in her getting backed up.

And I am in Wainwright about 2 hours away from Edmonton! I picked up our little girl from a breeder in Edmonton who - unfortunately - has moved away to BC.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
@Jackolyn hugs for you and Aurora. Sorry you have to deal with all this medical issues from day one. It's great you and the vet keep trying to figure out what is going on.

Bailey21

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I'm so sorry that you and your poor baby have had to deal with all this already! Its never fun to have a sore bum :( Hoping you and the vet are able to sort out the problem sooner than later and you can have a happy healthy little girl! Please keep us updated ((hugs)).

Jackolyn

Lairian
** UPDATE **

She didn't end up pooping at all yesterday or last night, and her butt was extremely distended and sticking out with poop just sitting there - despite a LOT of attempts and straining from her, nothing moved at all.
She also stopped eating her food last night and didn't eat anything this morning.

I called the vet first thing this morning, brought her in. They gave her 2 more enemas, X-rayed her, and they didn't find anything out of the ordinary on her x-ray. Just a lotta poop, and a few tiny gas pockets in her small intestines, but nothing that was cause for concern on their part.
She passed a lot of poop at the vet's this morning, and the vet told me that if I begin to see a build-up of poop in her that she's afraid to pass (from the pain of all of the inflammation until it calms down) to run her butt under warm water and massage it out.
All of the poop in her is healthy and soft, so it should be easy to coax out of her, and things are definitely moving in her now.
The vet showed me what to do with her massages, and she immediately had a MASSIVE poop in her carrier. It smelled terrible, but boy was I the happiest mom ever to actually see her poop in front of me.
She is now on an anti-inflammitory for the next week, and we have upped her Laxative dose to 1/2TSP over 4 doses every 12 hours in hopes that it's enough to keep things moving while her guts take the time to calm down.

It's been a positive day, but Aurora now has a lot of medication for us to manage, and so all we can hope for is that things continue to pass through her smoothly and move along while her guts can recover from everything.
Still no idea why she's having these issues, but the trick for now is to just regulate her and find a balance so we know EXACTLY what we need to look at once things are settled down.

Thank you all so much for your support - this community is truly the best, and it has been such a wonderful comfort to read your messages! I seriously appreciate it, and it's wonderful knowing that I don't have to go through all of this alone.
It's certainly been a lot.

Also, still no word back from the breeder, but my vet is telling me that she never should have sold me Aurora with her medical history. She feels terrible that I paid for such a sick kitten...and it pains me to hear that, because I thought for sure that I did everything right.
The breeder did a good job of putting up a professional front, and she had checked every box on my list of what I was looking for - it was only her pick-up day when I didn't get her full medical history a red flag popped up in my mind, but by then - with Aurora fully paid for and ready to come home with me, what could I have done?

Lesson learned, I guess.

Yumi

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
@Jackolyn Still sending positive vibes!
I'm happy to read it was a positive day and I can only hope to see more positive updates and improvement.
(Even if it's with baby step, getting it to a level of manageable so you can enjoy her and she can enjoy, I think that is the most important..?)

I think your vet might be right.
Breeders should not sell if they are aware of a kitten having issues, but that doesn't mean then don't do that.
You can do everything right, check all the marks, pay attention on all the red flags and even with everything correct you still can be fooled by a breeder. Some are really sly. (not saying this one was or is but they sure are out there!)
So please do not blame yourself. I cannot allow that. It is not your fault! This one is fully on your breeders conscience.
Or for all we know the lack of it to say it so harsh.
(I can tell you stories of stuff that happened here that I've read about that will make you drop of your chair.)
So yeah I cannot press enough that you cannot blame yourself.
You are a good parent as you trying everything to help her recover and make her life more pleasant and easy!

I do wonder and maybe a member more to your country can look into it, did you have a contract with your breeder?
Here often contracts are used stating if a kitten falls sick or has a certain illness that there can be action taken.

So, remember, do not blame yourself! You are a good parent and much hugs and positive vibes!

meandmytwo

Lairian
Sorry to hear about your poor unwell kitty.

I don’t have any personal experience with this in kitties and not a lot to offer. Other than to say that regular use of enemas and laxatives can cause dependency on them - the bowel will get lazy and stop moving on it’s own. I think using massage in warm water is a step in the right direction and I hope that continues to work for you. From there, hopefully reduce the laxative and she’ll make a full recovery.

This may not be a chronic ongoing problem for life. That is to say, she may not be a “sick kitten”. It sounds like the breeder could have started this enema routine without trying other options first (pumpkin, or a different food) and the poor kitty got relient, so now she needs to heal from the effects that over use of enemas and laxatives can cause.

I’m not a vet, and could be way off - but I have seen this cycle in humans.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
@Jackolyn good to hear the massage helped her poop. Fingers and paws crossed this means from now abd it will go better. Hopefully the meds will help her!

Sending more positive vibes. You're doing a great job with your girl. She's lucky to have you as her mommy!

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Jackolyn Thank you for keeping us updated on Baby Aurora

continued positve vibes sent!

You are not alone - we share the journey through the smiles amd the poo times too
( we call it poo patrol here )
Positive thoughts continue for a digestive balance for sweet Aurora
Come om girl get well soon!

Ps - did the vet mention if fortiflora or 100% pure canned pumpkin would be helpful?

*** how much water is she drinking ?
I found mine will drink more if I put the water bowl a few feet away from the food dish -
I change the water several times a day and it seemss to encourage them to drink more

Also with medications I always ask my vet for a pill popper amd a plunger needless syringe for liquid meds - makes life much easier for me amd kitty -

Last edited:

Jackolyn

Lairian
** UPDATE AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS POST **
But first - Thank you all, SO, SO MUCH for your kind comments, support, and advice!

@Jackolyn Still sending positive vibes!
I'm happy to read it was a positive day and I can only hope to see more positive updates and improvement.
(Even if it's with baby step, getting it to a level of manageable so you can enjoy her and she can enjoy, I think that is the most important..?)

I think your vet might be right.
Breeders should not sell if they are aware of a kitten having issues, but that doesn't mean then don't do that.
You can do everything right, check all the marks, pay attention on all the red flags and even with everything correct you still can be fooled by a breeder. Some are really sly. (not saying this one was or is but they sure are out there!)
So please do not blame yourself. I cannot allow that. It is not your fault! This one is fully on your breeders conscience.
Or for all we know the lack of it to say it so harsh.
(I can tell you stories of stuff that happened here that I've read about that will make you drop of your chair.)
So yeah I cannot press enough that you cannot blame yourself.
You are a good parent as you trying everything to help her recover and make her life more pleasant and easy!

I do wonder and maybe a member more to your country can look into it, did you have a contract with your breeder?
Here often contracts are used stating if a kitten falls sick or has a certain illness that there can be action taken.

So, remember, do not blame yourself! You are a good parent and much hugs and positive vibes!

@Yumi
Your words mean so much for me to hear. It's hard to accept that it happened to me, and I was beginning to feel entirely responsible despite my diligent research and - what I thought were - very high expectations from my breeder. I'm absolutely doing everything that I can for my little girl to get her through whatever is going on with her right now, and I just hope that whatever issues came with her CAN be solved so she can lead a happy and healthy life.
Unfortunately, the contract that I got with her doesn't necessarily cover the situation that we're going through right now - especially with the breeder feigning ignorance, and saying that she must have gotten it after she went home with me...so, aside from 6 weeks of free insurance, the contract doesn't help me much at all in this case. (And I'm not even the insurance will cover anything since it's almost the exact definition of a pre-existing condition...despite ME not knowing about it beforehand.)

Sorry to hear about your poor unwell kitty.

I don’t have any personal experience with this in kitties and not a lot to offer. Other than to say that regular use of enemas and laxatives can cause dependency on them - the bowel will get lazy and stop moving on it’s own. I think using massage in warm water is a step in the right direction and I hope that continues to work for you. From there, hopefully reduce the laxative and she’ll make a full recovery.

This may not be a chronic ongoing problem for life. That is to say, she may not be a “sick kitten”. It sounds like the breeder could have started this enema routine without trying other options first (pumpkin, or a different food) and the poor kitty got relient, so now she needs to heal from the effects that over use of enemas and laxatives can cause.

I’m not a vet, and could be way off - but I have seen this cycle in humans.

@meandmytwo
This is exactly what we are aiming to work towards with her! She has had such a reliance on laxatives and enemas the second that her constipation cropped up at 6 weeks old, that our vet really wants to - long term - work towards working her off of it.
As of this moment right now, we need to settle her guts down first, and so the laxative is helping move things along her irritated intestines, but once she's calmed down and her new food begins to really work its magic, we'll begin focusing on weening her off of the laxative - hopefully entirely. However with that said, the vet did say that she might always need to be on a bit of a dose no matter what, but I am more than prepared to give her whatever she needs to live a normal life.

@Jackolyn good to hear the massage helped her poop. Fingers and paws crossed this means from now abd it will go better. Hopefully the meds will help her!

Sending more positive vibes. You're doing a great job with your girl. She's lucky to have you as her mommy!

@Toa and Ross
Thank you so much!! It means a lot to me to hear that - it's stressful being a first time kitten mom for sure (let alone a first time SPHYNX kitten mom) but I am doing everything that I can, so thank you so much!

@Jackolyn Thank you for keeping us updated on Baby Aurora

continued positve vibes sent!

You are not alone - we share the journey through the smiles amd the poo times too
( we call it poo patrol here )
Positive thoughts continue for a digestive balance for sweet Aurora
Come om girl get well soon!

Ps - did the vet mention if fortiflora or 100% pure canned pumpkin would be helpful?

*** how much water is she drinking ?
I found mine will drink more if I put the water bowl a few feet away from the food dish -
I change the water several times a day and it seemss to encourage them to drink more

Also with medications I always ask my vet for a pill popper amd a plunger needless syringe for liquid meds - makes life much easier for me amd kitty -

@Yoda mom
Thank you so much!
And no mention of canned pumpkin from the vet, but her new food covers all of the bases that canned pumpkin would, so for now we'll see how she likes that food long term, and once we've settled on a final routine I'll see what I can do to help her diet along!
And she is drinking water, for sure! She pees no problem at all, and she's also getting moisture with her wet food (as well as her medicine which has water mixed in it), so her hydration isn't a concern at all. I DO need to get into the habit of changing out her water fountain more frequently, but I think the fact that it has a filter in it has made me lazy. I will try to change it out at least once a day!
And we have been administering most of her medicine either with a plunger needless syringe or mixing it into her food (when I know she'll clear out the bowl, like first thing in the morning), so administering her medication hasn't been an issue! She honestly takes it pretty well, so I lucked out there!

** TODAY'S UPDATE **

She didn't end up pooping any more yesterday after she got home from the vet, but her appetite and happy kitten personality were back, so I was a happy mom!
Today, I gave her all of her medication at their assigned times like clockwork, and she's been eating like her regular ol' kitten self again!
I did see her make a few poop attempts throughout the day with no success, so I ran her under the warm water and gave her massages to help coax it along, but nothing resulted from the efforts.
At around 4:30pm I was beginning to get a little worried, since it was now officially past the 24 hour mark of her last pooping, and I was getting a bit worried, so I called the vet before they closed for the weekend to give them the update, and they told me that if I felt it getting hard, I could take one of my needless syringes and give her bum a bit of lube to help it move along.
Not 5 minutes after hanging up the phone, she made a VERY LOUD attempt and SHE POOPED!
All on her own, with no assistance or massaging from me! It looked very healthy, soft but kept its shape, and once more I find myself very excited to see cat poop which - I never thought I would be excited for in my life, but here we are.

She has been running around, playing, and sleeping - so to see her poop all on her own has been a HUGE relief.
What we're doing with her is FINALLY beginning to show progress! Now we just hope that this keeps up!
And as I type this, she pooped again!! Not as much as the first time, but a good normal amount! Yay, she's not backed up anymore!

Thank you all so much again for your support and advice! I will be sure to keep you updated with any more developments as they roll around, but in the meantime - this is the healthiest I've seen my little girl since I got her, and I couldn't be happier!

P.S.
She scoots her butt after every time she poops (or after her attempts when she wasn't)
And while most of the time I'm able to catch her right after she goes and wipe her down with a baby wipe (Unscented & for Sensitive Skin), it's a mess when I can't and she leaves poop streaks across the floor. Any advice on how to deter this behaviour/train it out of her? Thanks!

Yumi

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I truly mean my words too.
You are not too blame and are a awesome loving wonderful -does everything for her child- and caring mommy!

Well you have kinda all the right to be excited about her poop ;)
I'm super hyped with this awesome positive update. All on her own! Woohoo! :LOL:
Maybe and hopefully what ever blocked her from going well is out or gone? *crosses toes'* (need fingers to type thus cannot cross those lol) and hopefully gone forever too!

Looking forward to more positive updates! :love:

Ps: your girl pooped! yaaaaaaay!
(yeah never expected it either to be so happy about someone els kitten poop.. :ROFLMAO:)

Yoda mom

Staff member
Great update! Comtinued positve vibes! Her running sound is great amd sure feels Sooo much better !

(I used to use water fountains -*** they get invisible slimy fast
Amd the motor absolutely has to be taken apart , take out the magnet impeller amd all parts cleaned at least 1-2 x a week- gunk amd slime Build up Inside the motor fast ! I soaked the motor parts in white vinegar amd water
I gave up on fountains for now
I went with regular stainless raised bowls amd a Pyrex bowl seems to be a fav )

Look forward to more poo"fect" updates

You got this!

Jackolyn

Lairian
How did the weekend go, is she still doing better?!

The weekend went VERY well! She managed to poop all by herself on Friday, Saturday, and slowed down a bit on Sunday - but she was pooping!
Yesterday she went back to being backed up - but she had a single episode of diarrhea on Saturday so we had halved her laxative dose that night and we figure that's what backed her up again - so she went in for a single enema today to clear her out, and hopefully she's back on track!
The vet was very optimistic about her progress, and despite the hiccup of her not pooping yesterday, everything looks good and is soft, so it's just maintaining the balancing act of her laxative and food intake until we regulate her and know she can poop reliably. That might still take a while yet, but we're on the right track!

Last edited:

jcline

Lairian
That’s fantastic news! It sounds like she is improving leaps and bounds! Sounds like you are doing an amazing job and she is very very lucky to have such a great kitty mama!!! So happy to hear your update!

Jackolyn

Lairian
* UPDATE *

Hey there everyone! Sorry for not updating in a while, but this past week has been relatively slow in news and updates (which is a good thing, honestly) so I haven't had much to report on!

Things have been going well, and while I'm tired of being on litter box watch 24/7, her movements this past week have actually been happening!
Now with that said, she had a few days where her movements would be the tiniest little round poop and that was all she would pass- but she was passing it - so the vet had recommended that we simply take one of our small 1ml needle-less syringes and put some lube up her butt to help grease things up and move things along. Needless to say, that certainly wasn't fun for anyone, but it helped immensely!
Once we did that, later that day she was passing things in a much better volume so I wasn't worried about her getting backed up again!

We did increase her laxative dose up to 3/4 tsp this past week, since I noticed that on 1/2 tsp - if she didn't pass something when she tried, that's when she would get backed up and have a hard time getting the buildup out. The increased dose has helped her a lot so far, but we're keeping a sharp eye on it to make sure it doesn't become too runny for her.
Yesterday she had a great poop all by herself with no issues - but it boggles my mind HOW MUCH she passed! It just kept coming out, like...you know you can poop more than once a day, right Aurora?
Last night she had a bit of a wet movement, but she went and passed it without much issue so we're going to be keeping a sharp eye on her movements today to see if her current laxative dose (3/4 tsp) is the cause, or if it was just a one-off thing.

So with that said, that's where we're at now! She's eating great - I'm giving her 1/4 can wet in the morning, 1/8 cup dry in the afternoon, and 1/4 can wet in the evening, and things are moving along slowly but surely. It's a very finicky balancing act with her, and finding the correct laxative doseage amount is a game I feel like we'll be playing for quite a bit longer yet, but she has been doing great!
Hopefully it keeps up!

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Thanks for the update! That's great to hear. Yes, these little nakeds can be sensitive. Sounds like you're doing great though. What a fab Sphynx Mommy!!!

Jackolyn

Lairian
Hello again, everyone!
Just on here to post an update on Aurora, and how she's been doing!

She's been growing like a weed, and every day I swear she gets bigger and bigger!
We have found a rhythm of food/laxative that keeps things in her moving smoothly, and we haven't had any back-up issues or major diarrhea issues in her which is good!
I have noticed that her poops have been getting a little bit wetter at the end of the day after her second laxative dose, so I will likely be lowering her dose in the near future to balance her out even more.

Today is where we got some new information - Aurora went in to get Spayed today, and I was certainly nervous as hell. No Ketamine was requested, and everyone there ensured me that they weren't going to use it on her, so that was covered!
I had watched a few videos online of the process, just so I knew what was going to happen, and while it didn't help my nerves, it did reassure me that this is a very common surgery that they do almost every day, so I trust them.

I just got off of the phone with my Vet, and she told me that they found a few things in her once they opened her up - and they were anticipating this, considering her medical history.
What they found was that her intestines were adhesed together along multiple spots and along her interior walls, as well as they were only able to remove her left ovary as the right one couldn't be found/when they found the horn, the ovary that's normally supposed to be there wasn't there.
This is almost definitely the cause of the issues that we've been having with her, as when food passes along her intestines it likely gets caught up on some of those tighter areas and takes a while longer to get moving.
However, despite this news, the vet reassured me that despite the adhesion's, everything looked healthy, the fluids looked really good, and there was no inflammation or redness - so everything looks as healthy as it can be for her.
The vet also reassured me that as she gets older, and she gets more abdominal fat to cushion everything, her body will likely balance out those issues even more. She told me that nothing can be done about it, but she said that she's rarely seen cases like this where the complications serious or life threatening since the body does so much to keep things normal - and we're certainly doing everything we can ourselves to help it out as well.

It's a relief to know more about what's going on inside of our little girl, and while it's not amazing news, the fact that she looks as healthy as she can be despite that is a positive outcome.
The vet assured me that she wasn't too concerned about the findings, as it more gives us an underline reason to what we've been trying to deal with the past few months.

So with all of that said, I will be picking up my baby girl in a few hours, and I can't wait to give her all of the snuggles and love!
We will also be playing the laxative dose amount by ear over the next week or so just to make sure she's not runny everywhere, but also doesn't get backed up.

If you have any advice on spaying after-care, it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for reading!

42144616_2133066053393609_3077706618658357248_n.jpg

42158455_1387752858021919_6994127776500416512_n.jpg

Back