Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Does feeding a Sphynx a raw diet make their poop smell better???

Wordsworth

Lairian
Hi everyone, I'm new to the sphynx lair and I'm in the process of adopting a sphynx. He won't be ready till February as he isn't even born yet lol but I've done tons of research to educate myself about sphynxes to understand them and see what would be best for them. I've read that a lot of sphynx owners deal with much smellier poop than any other cat breed out there, I'm not sure why that is but if it's true I'm quite scared to get one because the litter box will be in my room. I am getting a litter robot but I'm not sure if it'll prevent my room from stinking up. I've read that raw diets help sphynxes have less smelly poop and it give them solid poops because apparently sphynxes also have runny stool more than any other cat breed as well, another issue that is scaring me from getting one as I hear sometimes they can track the poop and get it everywhere. Does anyone know if raw diets really do rid the bad poop smell and produce more solid poops???

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
It's true that their poop doesn't smell on raw food. I have 2 litter boxes both in my room.

Once in a while I run out of raw food and have to buy canned food, and that smells but it's not any smellier than when I had Siamese cats.

Buy a healthy cat and feed them the best food you can afford. I would say this no matter the breed.

Wordsworth

Lairian
It's true that their poop doesn't smell on raw food. I have 2 litter boxes both in my room.

Once in a while I run out of raw food and have to buy canned food, and that smells but it's not any smellier than when I had Siamese cats.

Buy a healthy cat and feed them the best food you can afford. I would say this no matter the breed.

Wow thanks so much for the information!!! If raw food really does help then I think that'll be my best bet because stinky smelly poops might make me not want to purchase one only because I know the litter box would have to be in my room and I know oil diffuser aren't good for cats so there really wouldn't be anything to keep my room smelling clean. Do your cats produce more solid poops when fed raw? I found this brand called rad cat and I think I want to go with that one. How do you feed it to them? Any tips?

susi794

Staff member
Yes, it’s drier, less smelly and solid. Just make sure you’re feeding raw correctly.a balanced recipe or a commercially prepared raw diet. A homemade raw diet not done correctly is bad.

Wordsworth

Lairian
Yes, it’s drier, less smelly and solid. Just make sure you’re feeding raw correctly.a balanced recipe or a commercially prepared raw diet. A homemade raw diet not done correctly is bad.
Yes idk if I trust myself to make them, I might just mess something up and ruin the whole darn thing, plus I don't have a meat grinder and not sure I really want to buy one but I found the brand Rad Cat and it seems like my best best especially since they sell it close by my house. It seems like commercial raw premade meals are hard to find and they certainly don't really sell them at PetSmart or Petco or like a Target or something.

susi794

Staff member
Try googling it. There are lots of different kinds. You could also research our raw food category.

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
You can buy raw food in pet boutiques along with more "upmarket" stuff.

Nature's Variety Instinct is pretty popular and sometimes you can find it in the big chain stores. I've heard of Rad Cat too.

Some places sell the meat already ground, so you don't need a grinder, but there's a difference between "meat to be used to make food" and actual food. The ground meat they sell to make food does not have any of the vitamins, minerals, etc. so you need to add that. Be careful when you shop that you know exactly what you are buying. Both Rad Cat and Nature's Variety Instinct are complete and balanced food which you can just dethaw and serve.

I don't think you'll regret choosing raw....not only does it not smell but also it's smaller, and who wants to scoop more poop than they have to?!

Last edited:

Wordsworth

Lairian
You can buy raw food in pet boutiques along with more "upmarket" stuff.

Nature's Variety Instinct is pretty popular and sometimes you can find it in the big chain stores. I've heard of Rad Cat too.

Some places sell the meat already ground, so you don't need a grinder, but there's a difference between "meat to be used to make food" and actual food. The ground meat they sell to make food does not have any of the vitamins, minerals, etc. so you need to add that. Be careful when you shop that you know exactly what you are buying. Both Rad Cat and Nature's Variety Instinct are complete and balanced food which you can just dethaw and serve.

I don't think you'll regret choosing raw....not only does it not smell but also it's smaller, and who wants to scoop more poop than they have to?!
Yes very very true, don't want lots of stinky smelly poop lol but yes I think I'm going to go with rad cat! They also sell it locally where I live at a boutique kind of pet store like you said and it doesn't look super expensive and looks like something I can afford to ensure my cat is healthy! Thanks guys, you guys are awesome. I'm so happy to be apart of this forum. Now I just hope I don't get a sphynx that produces too much oil, I hear it just depends on the cat so I hope I get one who doesn't require too many baths.

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Yes very very true, don't want lots of stinky smelly poop lol but yes I think I'm going to go with rad cat! They also sell it locally where I live at a boutique kind of pet store like you said and it doesn't look super expensive and looks like something I can afford to ensure my cat is healthy! Thanks guys, you guys are awesome. I'm so happy to be apart of this forum. Now I just hope I don't get a sphynx that produces too much oil, I hear it just depends on the cat so I hope I get one who doesn't require too many baths.

Don't bathe him/her as often! I'll be honest, I have a hard time bathing mine so I take them to a groomer. But it's expensive so I only take them every 2 months. In between you can use baby wipes. Just be sure to clean their ears out every week because otherwise they get an ear infection. You'll figure it out as you go along but I hope this helps!

Wordsworth

Lairian
Don't bathe him/her as often! I'll be honest, I have a hard time bathing mine so I take them to a groomer. But it's expensive so I only take them every 2 months. In between you can use baby wipes. Just be sure to clean their ears out every week because otherwise they get an ear infection. You'll figure it out as you go along but I hope this helps!
Ya I just hope they like baths haha because idk if I can afford to take them to a groomer especially since most places only accept dogs ugh!

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Ya I just hope they like baths haha because idk if I can afford to take them to a groomer especially since most places only accept dogs ugh!
Truth. I had every intention of learning to bathe them but it was just a battle. The longer it went the more reasonable the groomer seemed. And isn't that just like everything else in life, you eventually realize your limits. I know I did.

Wordsworth

Lairian
Truth. I had every intention of learning to bathe them but it was just a battle. The longer it went the more reasonable the groomer seemed. And isn't that just like everything else in life, you eventually realize your limits. I know I did.
Hahaha yes very very true! As soon as I get mine I'll definitely have to give them a bath within 3 days and allow them to learn that they have to get used to it cause it will be a weekly routine!

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Wordsworth , be sure not to over bath. Mine can go a month . I spot Clean in between full spa day with a pitcher of water with baby face cloths amd a few drops of Hylt shampoo (soap fre hypoallergenic easy rinse )

Baby wipes just didn't get in Ms Wrinkleys skin folds lol
I do recommend ear and nail trim twice a week .
I like using alcohol free few twice free makeup r,ever wipes to easily clean nail gunk.
Your breeder will definitely be a great resource too
Never hesitate to ask questions including Being able to mentor . Also ask where she HCM scans her kitties do you can prep for that too.

Kudos to you for researching
Very excited for you !
Glad you are jumpin in and enjoying this fun friendly bunch :)

TheZu

Lairian
In terms of raw food, I recommend a pre-mix you add to ground meat. So it is a bit "make it yourself" but we're not talking grinders and balancing out multiple supplements if that makes you nervous. It's a bit cheaper then pre-made raw frozen from pet stores and you can pick your own meat :) I use the TC Felime premix, but want to try Better In The Raw next. All it requires is water, premix powder and meat. Then you stir it all up and freeze it into individual portions to use later. I use silicone cupcake trays to make the individual portions, then I put the frozen portions in a labeled ziplock bag. Take them out at noon the day before to that in the fridge in a glass jar with a lid, and then I keep it in the fridge until feeding time. Fortunately for me, Missy doesn't mind eating it cold. I wash the thaw jar out once a day before I put fresh pucks in to thaw.

I don't know if it's a personal thing to Missy or a raw diet thing, but I find she doesn't really get dirty fast. We bathe her once a week to once every two weeks to get her use to it. I'm not gonna lie, she still doesn't love it. I find the trick is to do it quick and wrap in a warm towel after. Fill up the sink about an inch with warm soapy water to let their toes soak, use an exfoliating glove and get a partner to help hold the cat. I can do it in five minutes or less. Then, when all is done, a yummy favourite treat!!!

TheTopaz

Lairian
I agree with the pre-mix suggestion, we use Ez Complete and have had success with that one and we buy it in bulk. Rad Cat has been discontinued in a lot of stores because of major recalls, and now it appears to be shutting down as a company shortly.

For bathing sphynx help, check out this thread of answers on Quora. Some of the same suggestions as on here - using Hylyt shampoo because it is very mild but still gets rid of dirt, and bathing in a smaller tub (instead of a full size tub/sink) to calm the cat.

Zab

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Yes, raw food is so nice! It's the most natural diet for a kitty. But, that is if they will eat it. I've had a cat that loved it for a year and then all of a sudden decided not to eat it anymore. Do your homework on the ingredients too so you know what it is and then introduce it slowly. I've also read that raw and kibble move at different pace through the intestines so don't do both at the same time. I'm no expert but I'm sure someone here knows all about this. Good luck!

Back