Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Jenn.Dios

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
He is reponding well to the meds, prozac. But he lost 1.5 lbs in 3-4weeks time. Vomiting and seizures. Seizures started on Monday. 2 I witnessed and I think he had one Wed. He lodt his bowels on Monday in the first seizure. Crys really loudly. Fell on his side and screamed and I straitened him out he was really

joeturbo26

Lairian
He is reponding well to the meds, prozac. But he lost 1.5 lbs in 3-4weeks time. Vomiting and seizures. Seizures started on Monday. 2 I witnessed and I think he had one Wed. He lodt his bowels on Monday in the first seizure. Crys really loudly. Fell on his side and screamed and I straitened him out he was really

OMG poor thing. What has the vet said? Some vets truly believe that feline hyperesthesia is some sort of seizure disorder, and I suspect that individual cases such as this--is why.

If he is having seizures, Prozac is not the correct medication for him.

Often times feline hyperesthesia will be treated first and foremost with Phenobarbital which is primarily used in feline epilepsy, but has been used with great success to treat hyperethesia overall. Maybe that's a good option for you to address both issues?

Diazepam (Valium) is also effective in treating feline seizures and is sometimes used to treat hyperesthesia alone.

I don't believe phenobarbital and Prozac can be given in tandem, but I know Prozac and Valium can be.

It sounds to me that you may need a med change.

Let me know if I can help. I am thinking about you guys. :)

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@joeturbo26 - great story!

What a coincidence that the Animal Planet TV channel had 2 My Cat From Hell episodes last night dealing with cats with FHS. Yes, I am a Jackson Galaxy fan!

Anyway they replay their episodes during the week in case anyone is interested. One cat was named Lux and the other was named Daisy.

nerdgirl

Lairian
My Oscar is going through something similar. He used to chew / suck on his tail when he was much smaller, but then it went away. Recently - like in the last few months - he has started to chew on his tail again. He just goes around in circles trying to get at it and gets really upset if I try to stop him. I have tried Feliway and also the bitter apple stuff, but neither has curbed his behaviour. I took him to the vet and we got some steroid cream in the event that maybe it was a rash, but that didn't help.

I'm terrified! I don't want to put him on prozac, but I also don't want him to hurt himself. Up until now he hasn't broken skin or done anything damaging to his tail.

Any further advice???

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
@nerdgirl definitely reach out for @joeturbo this member has a load of experience and a very reassuring demeanor. I am sure they can share the ins and outs and you will not feel so alone or afraid. I know people hear Prozac and freak...it is not an end all...it is a drug when used for the right reasons it can help manage life for the animal and the owner.

Please keep us updated.

Patti

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Jenn.Dios , healing hugs sent to you baby- my eyes went up when I read about your poor babies seizures-

Please ask you vet to rule out F.A.T.E.- I had never heard of it till I experienced it with my Yoda cat- she use to have seizures with losing bowels and loud crying-
The tell tale sign of FATE is rear leg paralysis and cold to the touch during the seizures- keeping prayers and paws crossed for you and your baby..

((Healing Hugs)) please keep us updated

joeturbo26

Lairian
@Catzzzmeow @nerdgirl I have no idea how I missed this post! Please forgive me! How is Oscar doing? Any updates? If you look at my profile and search my threads you will read a plethora of information about my experience with FHS and as Patti said, honestly prozac is not a negative thing. In my honest opinion it has improved my buddy's life tenfold and allowed him to be a "normal" cat. Please please please don't hesitate to reach out to me with any questions or just for support.

sphynx1987

Lairian
my little man has been recently diagnosed with this disorder and the vet is recommending tail amputation as short as possible and we've been informed of prozac phenobarbital etc but i don't think my vet is a fan of strong medications and frankly neither am i but we've got him on calming treats which seems to help and use benedryal which also calms him was recommended by his previous owners since valium didn't work :( i only want what is best for him but at the same time i don't want him to lose his beautiful tail we've bandaged the tip that he's worn to the bone with antibotic medicine etc which obviously needs to be amputated i just don't know what to do i'm just at a total loss this is like something out of a horror movie one day he was fine the next our home looked like a crime scene blood everywhere looked like someone went in with a paint brush the poor baby the vet said's this is very unusual and unfortunately just bad luck for a first time pet parent

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@sphynx1987 -- I am so very very sorry about your little man. I just want to send you some positive and healing vibes for you and your little man.

sphynx1987

Lairian
thanks i just want to be a responsible pet parent by getting him neutered micro chipped etc and now it's another surgery and i know everyone said's it's not my fault that it's like having tics or ocd which i have so i can sympathize but i guess i should be thankful that it's treatable it's not life threatening and it's not like he'll be losing an arm or leg etc. BUT still doesn't make it any easier and i am thankful that the vet is willing to take payments ''sighs''

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
I am sure it has been stressful. I think your baby is so fortunate to have you. You are researching and thinking through all options and trying to do what is best for your baby. You have the right attitude and a big heart which is priceless.

I love their tails as well, but take ease in knowing we have seen other vets recommend amputation as well. It actually can improve quality of life and less infections etc. After the operation you might feel more in control of things as you will not worry about what you are coming home to. I can picture the crime scene you described. If you do opt for the operation, just a friendly reminder that you should remind your vet not to use Ketamine as the anesthesia.

Keep us updated and know we are always here for you @sphynx1987

Patti

Yoda mom

Staff member
@sphynx1987, we know your little man is in the best of love and care - we are here for you ...

We have members with their babies that went thru surgery and it was the only option for relief and quality of life - amd they have healed well :)

You are doing all the research you can to make an informed decision to find comfort for your little man

Please kept us updated and give head smooches from me

sphynx1987

Lairian
thank you everyone for all your love and support during this trying time he is scheduled Thursday for the procedure my mom will be taking him while i continue to clean up the house i don't think i'll ever get all the blood but i think i've got like 90% of it but you know just when i think i got it and i find more heaven forbid they ever come in this house with luminol and a blacklight ''shudders'' at the moment he is sleeping peacefully in my wheelchair aka his newly found perch he seems to be fascinated by the smallest things but whatever makes him happy

Toa and Ross

Staff member
my little man has been recently diagnosed with this disorder and the vet is recommending tail amputation as short as possible and we've been informed of prozac phenobarbital etc but i don't think my vet is a fan of strong medications and frankly neither am i but we've got him on calming treats which seems to help and use benedryal which also calms him was recommended by his previous owners since valium didn't work :( i only want what is best for him but at the same time i don't want him to lose his beautiful tail we've bandaged the tip that he's worn to the bone with antibotic medicine etc which obviously needs to be amputated i just don't know what to do i'm just at a total loss this is like something out of a horror movie one day he was fine the next our home looked like a crime scene blood everywhere looked like someone went in with a paint brush the poor baby the vet said's this is very unusual and unfortunately just bad luck for a first time pet parent

I'm so very sorry to hear your little is having this disorder. Sending a lot of healing vibes and positive vibes to you and your little one!

Walnut

Lairian
I just wanted to thank all the people here especially @joeturbo26 for providing all the information on this thread.
My sphynx recently bit her tail and still chases her bandaged tail even with long cone on.
Now I am trying the medicine called Clomicalm.
Still have long way to go but this community encouraged me so much.

Back