Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

my 5 month old boy has a heart murmur.. any insight?

has your sphynx been diagnosed with a heart murmur? how did it turn nout

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • yes, but after a second opinion, turned out to be nothing

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

morganjeanne33

Lairian
I just went to the vet to get my new 5 month old boy checked out (my first sphynx) ... vet found a heart murmur and recommends that i see a cardiologist. I set up an appointment for next week but i'm still very concerned and anxious and would like to see if anyone has had any similar situations of heart murmurs in sphynx kittens and how it turned out? I heard that it can be common in kittens and may go away or be nothing, but could also be something more serious.
Basically I would just really appreciate any insight, advice, or stories relating to this. I'd be heartbroken if anything ever happened to him.
thank you so much
Morgan and Archie

zoinks

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
In our case it was HCM, but a cat can have a murmur which is not an indicator of something more severe and they can live a long and healthy life.

It can depend on the stage of the murmur, how worrisome it is.

Do you know if his parents were scanned for HCM?

You are doing the right thing by getting it checked out by a cardiologist and I hope it's nothing serious.

Yoda mom

Staff member
Sending You and Archie ((hugs)))
I do believe each kitty murmur is different just like people- I learned my first Sphynx kitty had a heart murmur when I took her to the vet to get spayed at apx. 6 months old. They would not do the spay. My vet did not have me go to a cardiologist and suggested to monitor her and recheck to see if she outgrows it and spay later. Several months later she was spayed without an complications. My vet I have known for years was conservative and we treated in house without trips to a cardiologist.
Every kitty is different - they can outgrow the murmur and live long purrfect lives -
For me , My kitty came from a bad breeder that disappeared . I never learned if the parents were ever HCM scanned . It seemed pointless to track her down because I already knew the answer- I decided I would put my energy into loving my baby and living each day to the fullest with the guidance of my personal vet.

Give baby Archie hugs from our naked zoooo! Keep us posted!

Back