Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

My days revolve around poop!

skunkfoot

Lairian
Hi, new here!
Just got my first hairless baby last monday and everything has been going great except for the last few days. I noticed he had runny poop all over him after he went to the bathroom. His poops stink really bad and he farts constantly throughout the day lol. He probably poops about 4 or 5 times a day and I have to follow him around and make sure I wipe his butt afterwards :yuck: He is 14 weeks old and only on dry food at the moment (suggested by his breeder) but now I am reading on here that I should probably get some wet food to add to his diet. Anymore suggestions on how to maybe get his poop thicker? I am also nervous about adding wet food since I know they can have sensitive tummies. TIA :)

zoinks

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
What do you feed him? You are right that sphynx are known to have sensitive tummies. People on here usually recommend adding some plain pumpkin (a few tsp from a can) with the meal which can help firm up poop.

You can also look into different foods which work well for sensitive stomachs. I can't recommend one as we feed raw, but maybe someone else can.

Cleopatra Beers

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
PUMPKIN!!! Go to the store and get plain, canned pumpkin. Then give him a teaspoonful or so 3 times a day. You should have the vet check him for Giardia or parasites and see if you can give him probiotics. Most of us have this same problem with new kits and these things really help. In fact, Cleopatra is on a daily routine of a heaping teaspoon of pumpkin mixed into her canned food twice a day and she may be doing this for her entire life. Also, get him onto the highest-quality no-grain food you can afford. It does make a difference. Good luck with your yucky problem. And welcome to the best site on the Web!

skunkfoot

Lairian
I just sent a stool sample to his vet on friday to check and make sure he doesn't have Giardia or anything else, but haven't heard anything back yet. Ahhh. We are currently feeding him Purina naturals, it isn't that great but his breeder recommended it since it's never been recalled :/ I think I will go first thing in the morning and see what other kinds of food I can get that are good for sensitive tummies. Oh and the pumpkin is a great idea! I've used it for my kids for the same reason haha. Thanks for the suggestions :)

Tiffany_Kay

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Pumpkin!!! Just added it to Wasabi's diet. Poops are still stinky but much firmer. I want to switch to raw eventually but my pay check can't afforded it at the moment.. I need a pay raise or just a better job haha

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hi, new here!
Just got my first hairless baby last monday and everything has been going great except for the last few days. I noticed he had runny poop all over him after he went to the bathroom. His poops stink really bad and he farts constantly throughout the day lol. He probably poops about 4 or 5 times a day and I have to follow him around and make sure I wipe his butt afterwards :yuck: He is 14 weeks old and only on dry food at the moment (suggested by his breeder) but now I am reading on here that I should probably get some wet food to add to his diet. Anymore suggestions on how to maybe get his poop thicker? I am also nervous about adding wet food since I know they can have sensitive tummies. TIA :)
Great suggestions thus far, also Giardia can produce a false negative when testing a stool smalple. Most vets just treat it to be safe as well as any other cats in the home. Careful with switching foods, that can makes things worse, figure out the runny poo first, once under control, then you can think of food change. Great article here on Giardia - http://sphynxlair.com/community/threads/sphynx-cat-with-diarrhea-giardia.3610/

GizmosMommy

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
My breeder also suggested purina naturals...wonder if its the same person lol. I haven't had any issues out of it at all. But did just last week start Giz on wet food as well, royal canin digestive sensitivity and so fat so good. And I bought pumpkin just incase :) good luck!!

Ollie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I didn't find pumpkin helped but my Oliver had giardia and another parasite but even after all the antibiotics the only thing that helped was going to a raw diet. Now no smell, no runs, no farts. I buy premade frozen raw. I wish I could feed him regular kibble and canned but this keeps him from having the runs.

skunkfoot

Lairian
Sorry it has taken me so long to get back. Just got the call from the vet and he did test positive for giardia, so we will be getting him started on medicine in the morning. Haven't started the new food yet, will probably wait until we are done with this giardia stuff! We offered pumpkin last night and he licked a spoonful but wasn't interested much today in it. Still have the smelly poops though haha. Thanks so much for all the info everyone :) it's been super helpful!

skunkfoot

Lairian
My breeder also suggested purina naturals...wonder if its the same person lol. I haven't had any issues out of it at all. But did just last week start Giz on wet food as well, royal canin digestive sensitivity and so fat so good. And I bought pumpkin just incase :) good luck!!

Our breeder is from Oregon :) not sure if you got your baby from there

Crinkuls

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
We are all obsessed with poop on here!! I watch my 2 on the tray with tissue in hand, ready for a grab and bum wipe!! If my partner is on the case ( if I'm busy or trying to get some sleep) I still shout out " who is it on the tray ?" And I like a vivid description of consistency too!!!

skunkfoot

Lairian
Hahaha that's so funny! I'll be glad when I can relax and not have to worry about poop so much. He loves to snuggle my feet at night and my worst fear is that I'll wake up covered in poop :sick:

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Don't get freaked out about it. We had it and never knew it...lol. People worry about getting it from their cats and it is possible, but not likely. Just follow the dosage of the meds and afterward either bleach the litter box or get a new one. Regular cleaning of surfaces and extra scoops from the litter box and you should be in good shape.

patti

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
when we got word of giardia, I too had just bought new litter boxes the week before...lol. The vet said isn't that the way it always is.

Patti

Ollie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
It does get better. I just disinfected the litterbox 1-2 x a week, paid extra special care to clean food and water bowls and clean blankets and sheets 2x a week. Wiped paws, bums after litterbox and ( crossing fingers ) Oliver got over it. I hope the same for you and your little one. It can be tough. Oliver's crawled into our sheets way too many times to count covered in poop.... :-(.

Last edited by a moderator:

skunkfoot

Lairian
It does get better. I just disinfected the litterbox 1-2 x a week, paid extra special care to clean food and water bowls and clean blankets and sheets 2x a week. Wiped paws, bums after litterbox and ( crossing fingers ) Oliver got over it. I hope e samef or you and your little one. It can be tough. Oliver's crawled into our sheets way too many times to count covered in poop.... :-(.

Ewww yuck!! Glad to hear all the hard work paid off though!

Ickushouse

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Oh poor baby! I hope you can get his tummy feeling better soon. Welcome to the Lair.

Ickus was a poopy Giardia kit, too. It took awhile for his poops to solidify, even after treatment. To help him along we gave him acidophilus. I'm not exactly sure how much it helped, but it's something to consider.

Back