Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Ty Blaze

Lairian
66DA5EC2-67D9-4463-BCC0-1CB9F5D73C82.jpeg
6266D246-C154-45BE-8D9D-CF0D2F7F1FDD.jpeg
2757E895-39EE-4DC2-9135-812F3D577136.jpeg
B5A9958A-2537-43B6-B9A5-C19830630617.jpeg
61F7DC9D-CEDE-443B-BC31-F9DB2071558E.jpeg
hey guys!

I just adopted my second little girl who seems to be giving me more problems than I could’ve imagined. My first sphynx (whom I got 2 years ago) has had no issues in health.

I adopted Jasmine 4 weeks ago (she just turned 1) and seems to have a rash that nobody can figure out. She came to me from a home that didn’t care for her like they should’ve. They didn’t spay her or give her the extra care sphynx need. She Seemed to have a small rash when coming to me so I took her to a cat only vet. She treated her with a “convenia” antibiotic shot for a bacterial infection and scraped her skin and gave me a chlorohexidine soak for her feet for a possible fungal infection in her nail beds. Not to mention the amount of black heads on her chin/mouth and her tail.

Well it’s four weeks later and I have been back to the vet again for a second opinion from the other cat only vet and she had no idea and told me to go to a “small animal dermatologist”. Attached are pictures but please please please has anyone seen this before? I have bathed her in a “malaseb” shampoo a total of four times now in hopes it would clear up.

Her energy is still high and she seems to be eating fine and her overall health/well being seems to be okay except for this.

It’s not ringworm because nobody in my family has contracted it. I am wondering if it is a food allergy or something of that sort! Also questioning if anyone thinks it could be a hormone issue since she hasn’t been spayed. If anyone has seen it and recognizes this as a food allergy - what should I feed her? Raw diet? Should I also leave out kibble and if so what should I be feeding her?

CAN ANYONE HELP!?:(

I haven’t introduced my two sphynx yet because of this rash and am so anxious for them to become best friends. (Also any insight on how to first introduce them would be much appreciated - much anxiety over here Lol)

admin

Administrator
Staff member
View attachment 83721 View attachment 83722 View attachment 83723 View attachment 83724 View attachment 83725 hey guys!

I just adopted my second little girl who seems to be giving me more problems than I could’ve imagined. My first sphynx (whom I got 2 years ago) has had no issues in health.

I adopted Jasmine 4 weeks ago (she just turned 1) and seems to have a rash that nobody can figure out. She came to me from a home that didn’t care for her like they should’ve. They didn’t spay her or give her the extra care sphynx need. She Seemed to have a small rash when coming to me so I took her to a cat only vet. She treated her with a “convenia” antibiotic shot for a bacterial infection and scraped her skin and gave me a chlorohexidine soak for her feet for a possible fungal infection in her nail beds. Not to mention the amount of black heads on her chin/mouth and her tail.

Well it’s four weeks later and I have been back to the vet again for a second opinion from the other cat only vet and she had no idea and told me to go to a “small animal dermatologist”. Attached are pictures but please please please has anyone seen this before? I have bathed her in a “malaseb” shampoo a total of four times now in hopes it would clear up.

Her energy is still high and she seems to be eating fine and her overall health/well being seems to be okay except for this.

It’s not ringworm because nobody in my family has contracted it. I am wondering if it is a food allergy or something of that sort! Also questioning if anyone thinks it could be a hormone issue since she hasn’t been spayed. If anyone has seen it and recognizes this as a food allergy - what should I feed her? Raw diet? Should I also leave out kibble and if so what should I be feeding her?

I haven’t introduced my two sphynx yet because of this rash and am so anxious for them to become best friends. (Also any insight on how to first introduce them would be much appreciated - much anxiety over here Lol)
Boy does that look like ringworm - @Catzzzmeow - thoughts? You have been thru this. Sort of looks like this less the dry flaking skin. Fungus, ringworm, or what?!

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Strange Skin condition - no fungus, no ringworm
@Ty Blaze Read through the link above. To me I am thinking it is hormonal @admin. Usually with ringworm we see more scabbing. You said your vet did a skin scrape, so I am assuming everything including ringworm came back negative? Was the skin always peeling, or only since bathing ? I would share the info in the links with your vet as well, and spay her ASAP and remind your vet not to use Ketamine as the anesthesia. Many vets not familiar with the breed are not aware it dangerous for Sphynx. Please keep us updated on what is finally determined to be the cause. Your information will definitely help others in the future. If it is hormonal, we have not had others keep us updated on what happened after spaying/neutering so your info would be appreciated.

Welcome to Sphynxlair. So happy your baby found a caring/loving forever home.

moodyxmoon

Lairian
It could be a combination of things, possible grain in kibble wont be helping - are her poops normal?
Edmund my two year old sphynx was a little bugger for getting into things with grain and his skin went terrible but poops were also an issue.

Definitely get the poor baby spayed and in the mean time perhaps use something soothing and calming in the bath, lavender is really good for helping to heal skin, make sure its got the real essential oil in there. Possibly a light oil to help moisturize and soothe her topically without the stress of a bath?

Good Luck with your babies!

Ty Blaze

Lairian
@catxxxmeow I came home today and her face looked like this. Do you think she cut it on something or scratched off a pimple... or do you possibly think it’s from whatever this skin issue could be?

There was a small scab there before this morning (thinking she scratched her face a little) but it just seems to be a little bigger. I’m just on high end ever since this skin issue. Maybe I’m over reacting.

Attachments

• BB4B4628-67FC-4863-8590-4EB26137F5D4.jpeg
    BB4B4628-67FC-4863-8590-4EB26137F5D4.jpeg
    151.1 KB · Views: 185
  • 2E3117BE-7932-4063-B11A-96FBBF6C03F2.jpeg
    2E3117BE-7932-4063-B11A-96FBBF6C03F2.jpeg
    115.5 KB · Views: 183

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Good grief your baby is keeping you on your toes lol. I m not a vet, but for this to have developed so fast and so raw, my guess is they rubbed on something.

Anita Eccleston

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
View attachment 83721 View attachment 83722 View attachment 83723 View attachment 83724 View attachment 83725 hey guys!

Hi there well firstly thank goodness she is now in safe capable caring hands !
And will get the love care and attention she needs ! I wish you both nothing but pure happiness together within your family x
I cannot offer any advice on the subject of the rash and lump but I see you have been given some good advice
Xxx❤️❤️❤️

meandmytwo

Lairian
I agree with rubbing on something, to have caused the booboo on her face.

I came home one day to my boy Freeway with a booboo exactly like that, same spot, same look. I had no idea but reading from here decided it was from rubbing. It was gone in a few days. I did continue to wonder what he could have been rubbing on...

Some months later, while he was tearing around the house, he went to run up the carpeted stairs but in his speed missed the first step and landed into it head first. He was stunned for sure but shook it off. Next day the same kind of booboo appeared. RUG BURN.

As for the skin condiction, I’ve no idea, but hopeful you’ll find the answer.

JojoCatMama

Lairian
I’m definitively not a vet but maybe take a break from washing her so much? I know Sphynx skin can be very delicate to over-washing. Hoping you can find answers soon!

NinaGato

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Hi, I am a professional groomer with 15 years plus of Sphynx experience. Your girl looks very dry. Please see if there is a medicated conditioner you can soak her in instead of a shampoo. Her skin looks stripped. Just like our skin it need a to be cleaned but needs their protective natural sebum oils to have healthy skin.
Medicated shampoos often have a delivery system that involves alcohol and really is quite painful for severely dry or open wounds.
You need to stop thinking about killing everything off her skin and about feeding her skin so it can be healthy. There is a serious imbalance going on. I would actually do what is called a closed open closed method to clean her. I soak in a deep conditioner (kinda like a hair mask for human hair) then a SLS free low sudsing wash then another conditioner soak then a rinse with warm water not hot.

Royce

Lairian
Hi, I am a professional groomer with 15 years plus of Sphynx experience. Your girl looks very dry. Please see if there is a medicated conditioner you can soak her in instead of a shampoo. Her skin looks stripped. Just like our skin it need a to be cleaned but needs their protective natural sebum oils to have healthy skin.
Medicated shampoos often have a delivery system that involves alcohol and really is quite painful for severely dry or open wounds.
You need to stop thinking about killing everything off her skin and about feeding her skin so it can be healthy. There is a serious imbalance going on. I would actually do what is called a closed open closed method to clean her. I soak in a deep conditioner (kinda like a hair mask for human hair) then a SLS free low sudsing wash then another conditioner soak then a rinse with warm water not hot.
My one kitten had the same rash on her belly when I got her. Her skin on her back was dry but not peeling like yours. I rubbed her with pure coconut oil, all over, then bathed her with the blue Dawn dish soap (they use on animals involved in oil spills). Did this a couple times & everything cleared up. But the vet also put her on clavamox since she seemed to have some cold symptoms.

mysmoony

Lairian
3BC3EF1A-AAA2-4FF1-9873-D7F07193ECCA.jpeg
797AF4A2-4DC5-4A70-AAC9-8BC9222F5808.jpeg

1C48192D-3A17-4D1A-AA5D-D78F287EA7F6.jpeg

My baby JUST got this similar skin condition a week ago!! I’m assuming it’s some kind of allergy to a new treat I’ve given her or to the steroid/ antibiotics treatment she had for bronchitis and it was small before and now it’s spread more. The first pics are a week ago when I first noticed it and then this is now. Came here to check to see if anyone else knew about it and found this thread! What did you do for her??
Btw she’s totally fine otherwise. Eats well and energy is fine and doesn’t seem to scratch or lick it more than usual either

NinaGato

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@mysmoony
Please go back to the vet and get her tested for ringworm or mange. She could have picked something up at the vets office while her immune system was down due to the upper respiratory infection.

Ty Blaze

Lairian
Found out that she only gets this certain rash when she goes into heat. I will be getting her fixed in the interim and I will keep you all updated!! Thank you all for such great feedback and support.

Back