Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Question for those of you with an older cat and a kitten.

ldlewis45

Lairian
Gotcha-Day for my baby isn't until the end of July, but I'm trying to prepare now. I've got an older cat (8ish, not sure because he was an adult when I adopted him), so I'm trying to figure out how the feeding situation is going to work. Right now, he gets a scoop of dry food when I go to bed, since feeding him then keeps him from waking me up because he's hungry, and he munches on it throughout the following day. He's had some skin and coat issues that I think are tied to the food, so I'm working on getting him switched over from Purina One Urinary Tract Health (he's had a couple of bladder infections in the past) to Blue Buffalo Wilderness duck formula.

When I get the new baby, he's going to need kitten food. How do I keep the older cat from eating all the kitten food and the new baby from eating the adult food? Or should I even worry about it?

Cleopatra Beers

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
We have introduced lots of kittens to our older cats over the years. We usually allow the older cats one time of eating baby food-just to satisfy their curiousity. We do feed the kitten and adults in seperate areas of the house for a while. Mostly, we would put the adult food on a table or on the catio (weather permitting) where the kitten couldn't get it. The kitten food would be fed in our bedroom or Bob's office, where the door could be shut. But after a few months, the kittens have always grown enough to get onto tables or go on the catio, so we then would switch to feeding them in seperate rooms for as long as possible. Hope this helps! Oh, and congrats on your upcoming baby!!!!!

assibassi

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I fed the same thing to both when we brought the kitten home he was on Taste of the Wild kibble and can and we just switched our 7 year old to the same food.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Gotcha-Day for my baby isn't until the end of July, but I'm trying to prepare now. I've got an older cat (8ish, not sure because he was an adult when I adopted him), so I'm trying to figure out how the feeding situation is going to work. Right now, he gets a scoop of dry food when I go to bed, since feeding him then keeps him from waking me up because he's hungry, and he munches on it throughout the following day. He's had some skin and coat issues that I think are tied to the food, so I'm working on getting him switched over from Purina One Urinary Tract Health (he's had a couple of bladder infections in the past) to Blue Buffalo Wilderness duck formula.

When I get the new baby, he's going to need kitten food. How do I keep the older cat from eating all the kitten food and the new baby from eating the adult food? Or should I even worry about it?
As mentioned above, separate rooms is best. Kitten food has different nutritional benefits, so its best to ensure your kitten eats the kitten food. If the older cat eats the kitten food, no harm done except maybe an extra pound tor two. As @Cleopatra Beers said, putting the older cats food in a higher place may work also. Good luck! :)

ldlewis45

Lairian
The problem with putting my older cat's food at a higher location is that he doesn't jump. I know, he's an odd duck. He doesn't get up on tables or jump any farther than to get up on his favorite easy chair or my ottoman (and even then, he just pulls himself up instead of jumping). He's lazy, lol, and tries to use his front legs to pull himself up instead of jumping.

Last edited:

admin

Administrator
Staff member

Also, if your cats are micro chipped, this is a good option. Made by Sureflap.

Back