Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Amy31

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Hey guys, so I booked Lucifet in today have the chop in January, whilst under they will chip him, clean his ears and teeth however! I've read up online awhile ago how they can be allergic to ketamine, and how one little sphynx went off for his teeth cleaned and never came home! So I am beside myself with worry, his old vets said it was a load of rubbish and completely impossible but they hadn't a clue about anything I asked hence "old", so I was wondering if you guys have heard this before and could shed any light or advice? I will speak to the vet on the day but just need some fellow sphynx owner opinions :) TIA

Amy31

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
image.jpg

Amy31

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Yes that's what I was scared about, I have moved vets, but when you read one thing and a so called profesional says another I just needed clearing up! That's great thank you for your response :) I will obviously mention it to his new get but is it something vets know? Or is it just certain breeds of cats that have this problem? Again all I have is what I've read and the useless advice of his old vet!!
Never allow ketamine to be used its not that they allergic to it it can kill them. If my vet refused not to use it I would change vets no bet will come near my babies with ketamine[/QUOTE

Amy31

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
New vet*
Yes that's what I was scared about, I have moved vets, but when you read one thing and a so called profesional says another I just needed clearing up! That's great thank you for your response :) I will obviously mention it to his new get but is it something vets know? Or is it just certain breeds of cats that have this problem? Again all I have is what I've read and the useless advice of his old vet!!

Amy31

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I've just called his new vets and the receptionist says she doesn't think they use it, but she's going to put it down in his notes and tell the nurse :)

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I would make absolutely sure, I, would want to talk, to the Vet personally.
Don't, take any chances. Then, the morning of, I, would remind them.
Don't, just think, because, the reception said, she, would tell the Nurse, it is ok.
Make sure yourself.

zoinks

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
When we put our babies in we put a sign on the carrier that said "NO Ketamine"

We couldn't be more clear with our vet, and wanted no doubt that they would not use it. Luckily our vet said right off the bat that they never use ketamine with exotic breeds due to the chance of an underlying heart problem.

By the way it is not an allergy to the ketamine which is maybe why the vet was confused, like in the photo you posted it is more than it can cause issues when the cat has an underlying heart problem and sphynx have an increased chance of HCM.

Some older vets are very set in their ways and will always want to use ketamine, I probably wouldn't trust them especially when the vet was so insistent it was a load of rubbish.

Here is some info I got from my vet about how they do their procedure:

"We will commonly "box down" "exotic" breeds of cats using isoflorane and oxygen, and not use ketamine (usually combined w/ diazepam/valium). So, yes, that would not be a problem at all. We will generally give them a pre-anesthetic combination of atropine (reduces oral secretions to reduce chance of aspiration, and stabilizes heart rates, which tend to drop under anesthesia), buprenorphine (a narcotic for pain control that lasts about 6-12 hrs), and acepromazine (a tiny dose- it is a tranquilizer, and can reduce reactions by the heart to certain gas anesthetics, such as halothane). This pre-anesthetic injection tends to smooth out the induction process.

Dippy would be given the pre-anesthetic injection, then we would wait for 15-20 minutes to let it work, then he would be placed inside a clear, plexiglass box about the size of a cat carrier (15+ lb cats fit easily) with a lid. Initially, he would get 1% isoflorane and 99% oxygen, then we would work up to 5% isoflorane and 95% oxygen into the chamber, and he would breathe that in. In about10-15minutes he would be anesthetized, and we can place a mask over his face so we can continue to give him anesthesia (generally only 3% isoflorane is needed once they are anesthetized). He would have a pulse oximeter, which would show us his blood oxygen saturation and heart rate. He would be neutered, the microchip placed (we use PetLink microchips- see link http://www.petlink.net/latinamerica/cms.spring?path=/whyregister.html), then we would turn off the anesthetic gas, keeping him on oxygen 100%, till he starts to wake up (room air is around 22% oxygen, so he would be getting plenty of oxygen during the procedure). Then we watch them till they are more awake and safe to go back to their cage."

Amy31

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I would make absolutely sure, I, would want to talk, to the Vet personally.
Don't, take any chances. Then, the morning of, I, would remind them.
Don't, just think, because, the reception said, she, would tell the Nurse, it is ok.
Make sure yourself.
Oh that's a no brainer I'll go and tell them as soon as I can, and morning of , though I'm thinking of just cancelling all together!! I'm so scared :(

Amy31

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
When we put our babies in we put a sign on the carrier that said "NO Ketamine"

We couldn't be more clear with our vet, and wanted no doubt that they would not use it. Luckily our vet said right off the bat that they never use ketamine with exotic breeds due to the chance of an underlying heart problem.

By the way it is not an allergy to the ketamine which is maybe why the vet was confused, like in the photo you posted it is more than it can cause issues when the cat has an underlying heart problem and sphynx have an increased chance of HCM.

Some older vets are very set in their ways and will always want to use ketamine, I probably wouldn't trust them especially when the vet was so insistent it was a load of rubbish.

Here is some info I got from my vet about how they do their procedure:

"We will commonly "box down" "exotic" breeds of cats using isoflorane and oxygen, and not use ketamine (usually combined w/ diazepam/valium). So, yes, that would not be a problem at all. We will generally give them a pre-anesthetic combination of atropine (reduces oral secretions to reduce chance of aspiration, and stabilizes heart rates, which tend to drop under anesthesia), buprenorphine (a narcotic for pain control that lasts about 6-12 hrs), and acepromazine (a tiny dose- it is a tranquilizer, and can reduce reactions by the heart to certain gas anesthetics, such as halothane). This pre-anesthetic injection tends to smooth out the induction process.

Dippy would be given the pre-anesthetic injection, then we would wait for 15-20 minutes to let it work, then he would be placed inside a clear, plexiglass box about the size of a cat carrier (15+ lb cats fit easily) with a lid. Initially, he would get 1% isoflorane and 99% oxygen, then we would work up to 5% isoflorane and 95% oxygen into the chamber, and he would breathe that in. In about10-15minutes he would be anesthetized, and we can place a mask over his face so we can continue to give him anesthesia (generally only 3% isoflorane is needed once they are anesthetized). He would have a pulse oximeter, which would show us his blood oxygen saturation and heart rate. He would be neutered, the microchip placed (we use PetLink microchips- see link http://www.petlink.net/latinamerica/cms.spring?path=/whyregister.html), then we would turn off the anesthetic gas, keeping him on oxygen 100%, till he starts to wake up (room air is around 22% oxygen, so he would be getting plenty of oxygen during the procedure). Then we watch them till they are more awake and safe to go back to their cage."
That's very helpful thank you :) yes, at first all I had was what I'd researched myself before I got Lucifer, then on more careful reaserch I read in the heart problems ect, as soon as I read that post on ketamine I saved it to show the vets, though they said they'd have to google it (we had a very unsatisfactory time) and how it can't be true as they use is for cats with heart issues?! So upon some rude comments I took him out and placed him in the vets inside pets at home (uk) so to settle my mind tonight I called, tomorrow after work I'll go and speak with the vet and on the day I'll give an extra reminder, I don't know if I'm coming across naive and trusting but I can guarantee I will not settle until I'm 100% sure myself haha thank you for all your help!! I really love this place

Kyla L

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
When Nigel got neutered I made sure his vet didn't use ketamine. When Yuri went in for his eye surgery I totally forgot about it and they did use it in a "cocktail". Yuri did fine, but I have heard Donskoy don't have as many issues with HCM which I am not sure is true. Better safe than sorry though.

Amy31

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
When Nigel got neutered I made sure his vet didn't use ketamine. When Yuri went in for his eye surgery I totally forgot about it and they did use it in a "cocktail". Yuri did fine, but I have heard Donskoy don't have as many issues with HCM which I am not sure is true. Better safe than sorry though.
I spoke to the nurse they informed me they do use it in what sounded like a cocktail! They assured me they have other methods but if he's healthy there shouldn't be a problem which wasn't the answer I wanted so for now, I've canceled, I spoke to my breeder and he's just had lucifers brother done but was unaware of the ketamine issue, they have passed me the details on of the vets they use and hopefully they can help, though my vets assuredly they didn't need to use it I just get a bad feeling and I've always gone with my gut!! I'd never forgive myself if something happened when it's not causing any issues for now anyway!! You're so right, better safe than sorry :)

Back