Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

how much L-lysine do I give my 15 week old sphynx - Gremlin?

Rebeccaperez

Lairian
I dont know what type of L-lysine I should get.. gel form,powder,or pill? which one is better and how much do I give Gremlin he is 15 weeks?

zinchik

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
my vet recommended Enisyl-F Lysine Treats for Cats and they LOVE it!
I just follow instructions on the pack and give them up to 6 per day (sometimes less, few times more when I decided they are sneezing too much and it was cold..)

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004U4P1RY/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER"]Amazon.com: Enisyl-F Lysine Treats for Cats, 6.35oz: Pet Supplies@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41%2BH0RxyBKL.@@AMEPARAM@@41%2BH0RxyBKL[/ame]

ZiggyStardust

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I use the powder and mix it into their wet food. There's a little dosing scoop that comes inside the jar. Three of my cats get one scoop once a day. Ash and Gizmo get once scoop twice a day (morning and night). If you used powder, I'd do the two scoops a day for Gremlin. :ThumbsUp:

admin

Administrator
Staff member
I dont know what type of L-lysine I should get.. gel form,powder,or pill? which one is better and how much do I give Gremlin he is 15 weeks?

Most people use about 250 ml -500 ml sprinkled over food, 250 ml being the most common for a "maintenance" type dose and 500 ml if your kitty has symptoms of a cold or herpes flare up (see your vet for anything over 500 ml). They also make treats with Lysine as well. :)

Last edited:

ZiggyStardust

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Most people use about 250 ml -500 ml sprinkled over food, 250 ml being the most common for a "maintenance" type dose and 500 ml if your kitty has symptoms of a cold or herpes flare up (see your vet for anything over 500 ml). They also make treats with Lysine as well.:Laugh:

Yep! :ThumbsUp: The little dosing scoop is 250 ml. Right now I'm giving Giz two a day because he's a kitten and their immune systems can be lower - which may not be necessary, but after losing one baby to an illness, I'm using what I can to try to keep this one. Once Gizmo hits adulthood, I'll probably lower his to once a day unless he has cold symptoms. I give Ash two a day because of his heart condition. He's had a history of slow recoveries to illnesses so I use the higher dose on him as an additional prevention measure. The rest of the kitties just get one scoop. :BigSmile:

Boonecat

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
My Bambino, Sheldon is a lil' bit older than your kitty. Vet told me 250 mg is enough when they are that young. 250 mg is 1 scoopful. The tiny scoop comes in the container of granules. I use L-Lysine made just for cats.

SpartisMommy

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I have a kitten the same age that I just brought home a couple weeks ago. He was sick when we got him :( Went to vet got antibiotics, next week he got an eye ulcer! Been at vet every other day, really stressfull and sad. Testing monday for feline herpes. This is our first sphynx. I have been reading on here about this lysine, does anything think I should go get some and try it over the weekend to see if it makes any difference in my baby?? His name is Spartacus by the way, I call him Sparti and we love him no matter what his little snot nose coughing crazy eye turns out to be.

Taraforweb

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
wait... is L-Lysine ONLY useful for cats with feline herpes? or is in useful in genral as well? '

If my cat isn't around other cats, isn't infected with herpes, and L-Lysine is mainly effective only for the herpes virus, then I would rather not include extranious items that aren't useful to her.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
wait... is L-Lysine ONLY useful for cats with feline herpes? or is in useful in genral as well? '

If my cat isn't around other cats, isn't infected with herpes, and L-Lysine is mainly effective only for the herpes virus, then I would rather not include extranious items that aren't useful to her.

Lysine is also used as an immune booster besides helping with feline herpes, they sell treats as well with lysine to help keep a promote a healthy immune system. http://www.sphynxlair.com/f53/sphynx-feline-herpes-l-lysine-3217/

shengnes

Lairian
I had a Persian once who I would give daily doses to because he was sickly from the start. He developed Anemia and the Vet suggested I put him on Lysine. She suggested that I just get the human form of lysine and give him 500 ml a day. So I would crush it up everyday, twice a day and mix it in a little bit of wet food.

lucylue

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
LYSINE

HI,
I am just wondering do I have to give Lucy lysine? What is it for and what does it do? I want to make sure I have this for when I get my sweet girl. If there is anything else that I must have please let me know. I trust all of you. I have the coconut oi I have the good wash and ear cleaner but I want to know about all the MUST have items. Thanks everyone you all have been so great.

CourtneyKaz

Lairian
i was reccommedned the powder because sometimes the cats dont like the paste or chew and its hard to get the treats where i am and i just sprinkle it on top of the food so she eats that part first and gets it all just in case she leaves some food behind

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
LYSINE

HI,
I am just wondering do I have to give Lucy lysine? What is it for and what does it do? I want to make sure I have this for when I get my sweet girl. If there is anything else that I must have please let me know. I trust all of you. I have the coconut oi I have the good wash and ear cleaner but I want to know about all the MUST have items. Thanks everyone you all have been so great.

LOL. This is about where I feel I am at. Taking so many notes right now and then I'll ask questions. So glad this forum exists.

curlysue

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I found my local health food store carries about 8 different brands of L-lysine. I get the powder and use one scoop for each kitty once a day. I mix it in there wet food. I use it as directed on the canister I think one teaspoon a day.

Fester

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Is lysine the same as L-lysine?
Yes, for what we are discussing, they are the same thing

//digression time: If we were talking about lysine with an organic chemist, then we might need to specify whether it's the left handed or right handed version of the molecule -- but for dietary supplements, only the "L"eft handed one matters --

If memory serves, all life on earth uses the left-hand version of chiral compounds -- they are several sci-fi novels that explore the possibility of life that uses the right-handed molecules

Ailin

Lairian
I was using the lysine treats with Bella and the company changed their ingredients and now she won't eat certain ones. Therefore I'm back using the powder. The powder is much easier and lasts longer because you get a bigger container and you don't have to feed them so many treats. One brand of treats that they have around here was so small of a mg that just to get the 500 mg I had to feed her 10 treats!!!!

Yoda51826

Lairian
I just got my second and third sphynx. I give the female 500 twice a day. She has been all different kinds of antibiotics. We are now giving her injections one a day of Clindamycin. She has been sick for a month now. So I am hoping she gets better. Hang in there too!
I have a kitten the same age that I just brought home a couple weeks ago. He was sick when we got him :( Went to vet got antibiotics, next week he got an eye ulcer! Been at vet every other day, really stressfull and sad. Testing monday for feline herpes. This is our first sphynx. I have been reading on here about this lysine, does anything think I should go get some and try it over the weekend to see if it makes any difference in my baby?? His name is Spartacus by the way, I call him Sparti and we love him no matter what his little snot nose coughing crazy eye turns out to be.

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
From my personal experience, I see a positive difference using the L-Lysine. When I cut back a bit, the sneezing begins all over again here. When they are ill, I double the dose and it helps.

Jrs4

Lairian
Yes! I too have a kitten (Lily) that's been sick since we got her and the vet put her on antibiotics with a probiotic and L-lysine, I believe it has made the difference in her recovery. Lily is now off the antibiotic and on the mend! I will continue with both probiotic and l-lysine for an unforeseen time to come as it has really helped her. She's 18weeks now but was coughing at 14weeks when we received her. We've made 4 vet visits so far and one more scheduled for this week so I get where you're at! Hugs for Sparti! And a fast recovery!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back