Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Luna my cat

Lairian
Dear NinaGato thank you for referring me to this post.

My Luna is suffering from something very similar to the pictures posted by Pussiette.

I will post the most recent pictures for you to see.

Please can you tell me how are you guys treating this condition? I have also posted an article asking for help as I really don't know what else to do.

Please help! (Pictures to follow)

image.jpg

image.jpg

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Does your sphynx have urticaria pigmentosa/severe hive?

I desperately need to connect with anyone owning a sphynx with this health problem.
Has your vets recommended you try a antihistamine? I would ask to give it a go and see if that helps. It surely will not hurt to my knowledge.

ZiggyStardust

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Has your vets recommended you try a antihistamine? I would ask to give it a go and see if that helps. It surely will not hurt to my knowledge.

We were told to try Zyrtec (or the generic [not benadryl]) at 5 mg a day and we should see improvement in a week if it is Urticaria Pigmentosa. We were also told it wouldn't hurt him if it wasn't. Toothy's doesn't quite look like this though, but we're giving it a shot just in case.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
We were told to try Zyrtec (or the generic [not benadryl]) at 5 mg a day and we should see improvement in a week if it is Urticaria Pigmentosa. We were also told it wouldn't hurt him if it wasn't. Toothy's doesn't quite look like this though, but we're giving it a shot just in case.
Yes correct, if it's Urticaria Pigmentosa an antihistamine should help. Sometimes a topical steroid as well if the antihistamine alone is not showing improvement.

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Does your sphynx have urticaria pigmentosa/severe hive?

I desperately need to connect with anyone owning a sphynx with this health problem.

I never heard of it before. The first things that come to mind is Benadryl and prednisone and possibly an antibiotic injection. Then I thought of either skin allergies such as shampoo or laundry detergent. Have you bathed her in Aveno Oatmeal bath to help ease her uncomfortable looking skin? Then I thought of food allergies.
I'm so sorry you are going through this without an answer to help her. I feel so bad, that's got to hurt and be so uncomfortable for her. :( Hope you get an answer/remedy to make her all better really soon. Best of luck.

NinaGato

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Make sure if the vet is using oral steroids that they use Prednisolone. NOT prednisone.
Prednisolone has a much better response in cats.

I downloaded a couple of vet journal papers on the if anyone is interested in reading them: Most are pdf files so you download and open in adobe reader.

This is the title of one article and if you Google it you will find the pdf download.
Clinical Approach to the Pruritic Cat - Dr. Robert Hilton

http://www.google.com/url?q=http://...EQFjAJ&usg=AFQjCNHoFPJaBxku1Qvr4DpA6M9MbvHCjA

The link above is a clinical in 2002 so there was no atopica to test yet but it is one drug used now to treat severe allergies and urticaria.

Hope these are some help to others.

Luna my cat

Lairian
Hi guys!
Thank you so much for your help, I really appreciate it!

I have made a note of everything you said, and will be contacting my Vet today to start treatment!

I will keep you all posted!
I will also try and send you pictures of the worst that we have seen her, when she came to us so you can see how bad it was.

Thanks a million!

Luna my cat

Lairian
Hi Pussiette,
I have my Luna who has a very similar problem! I have posted pictures.
Do you have any news from the vets? Have they prescribed something?

I am the same as you, trying to find answers. The guys in this forum have suggested Zyrtec. Have you tried this?

Hoping to hear from you! :)

pussiette

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Thanks for your help.

She is doing well since being on kangaroo again touch wood. The cortisone cream did not work nor did pred this is def. food triggered. And genetic as brother had it too.

Waiting on results.

Yes have seen lots of good reports on zyrtec online but no studies on cats in australia.

Vet wants to see how she goes with no other chemicals for the next couple of weeks.

pussiette

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Thank you she is covered in scars and those wierd black dots freckles now where the hives were. I wish she had a better immune system poor thing and I wish we didnt have to challenge her with that hills z/d food which set her off. I was only doing what the vet and dermo told me to do. :( Since being on kangaroo again she is really doing well for now.

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Thank you she is covered in scars and those wierd black dots freckles now where the hives were. I wish she had a better immune system poor thing and I wish we didnt have to challenge her with that hills z/d food which set her off. I was only doing what the vet and dermo told me to do. :( Since being on kangaroo again she is really doing well for now.

Good to hear she's doing better. :)
I would have suggested that you move otherwise. I mean, I thought that Oz was causing this problem. LOL

ZiggyStardust

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Thank you how is your baby?

Well, it's now been a week of Zyrtec for him. (We do have 3 more pills left - got the 5 pack which gave us 10 doses.) I don't really see any difference just looking, but it may be subtle this early. I'm going to take another set of pictures and compare them. Thankfully he doesn't seem to be bothered by it at all.

pussiette

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Well, it's now been a week of Zyrtec for him. (We do have 3 more pills left - got the 5 pack which gave us 10 doses.) I don't really see any difference just looking, but it may be subtle this early. I'm going to take another set of pictures and compare them. Thankfully he doesn't seem to be bothered by it at all.
We think its a good idea to take photos too even tho it is sad its necessary to see the progress.

NinaGato

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
How are all the kitties with skin issues going today? So far so good here. Kangaroo only trial continuing.

Please post updates.

Ki is on third week of antibiotic. Skin still looks good. A few bumps but no big out breaks. We are on venison diet now. They all seem to like it. And poo is good. Ki can have rabbit or salmon also as a treat. So I have banished all other treats from the house.
We got back blood serum allergy tests and everything she is allergic to is grasses/weeds. So we are still playing the waiting game kinda. Until the antibiotics are gone we will give it a bit and see how she does.
My vet already has a plan in action if she relapses.

hharmony

Lairian
Does anyone own or know of a sphynx has had skin problems that looks like this? Please if I am going to be able to find anyone else in the world it would have to be here.
My little Mokie has this trouble. She has one huge spot on her eyebrow area that scabbed and oozed. She rubbed at it often so I sprayed some Allerspray on it. She has three smaller spits near her ears but none anywhere else. I'll be calling her vet tomorrow. Could it be an allergic reaction? They are in the areas she rubs against our faces? I feel so helpless in what to do for her. Good luck with your poor kitty!

Back